Do’s and Don’ts
- Wear a pair of high heels when you shop for swimwear—they flatter legs and inspire better posture!
- Bet on classic black for a slimming effect.
- Brazilian bottom cut will make your bottom look smaller than a full cut.
- Go bathingsuit shopping during winter months when you’re pale and possibly a little overweight: you’ll look better when the summer months catch up with you!
- Chlorine, salt water, perspiration and putting your suit in the dryer all ruin the elastic. Always rinse your suit in fresh water after wearing.
- Take a trusted friend with you when you make the purchase. She’ll help you pick out what’s really best for you.
- Try something new! Maybe that yellow maillot with black polka dots that you’d never consider has the perfect cut and color combination for you. Try new types and colors!
- Buy your swimsuit a couple of sizes bigger than your clothes size. They fit better, feel more comfortable, and your body looks smaller and more shapely!
- Try a tan! Use one of the great self-tanners to look thinner and more fit.
- Wear make-up when you’re trying on swimsuits. Trying suits can be discouraging. Long mirrors & bad light make us aware of our flaws. A little makeup does wonders for the self image. It won’t make the suit fit better, but it’ll make you feel better & give you the stamina till you find the right suit.
- Not too many of us are blessed with a perfect figure, so go out and be confident , no matter what shape you happen to be sporting. Confidence is always an eye-catcher.
- Even the heaviest person can wear and be comfortable in a swimsuit. Just throw on a brightly colored sarong or a long scarf (as a wrap skirt) over that suit, head for the sun and have fun! Self-confidence looks best on everyone.
- Find two-piece suits that are sold separately. Many people wear a smaller size bottom than they do on top, or vice versa. If you’re larger on the bottom, choose a solid color for the bottom and a complimentary – but brighter or patterned – color on top.
- A flattering bikini will make it onto the beach year after year. It’s worth paying a bit more to get something special!
- Avoid shimmery colors if you’re a bit heavy
- If you have white skin and have a hard time tanning, do not wear any dark blue colors! You will look whiter than snow! Try wearing lighter colors, such as bright green, bright teal, beige, or peach.
- It’s always best to remove your socks when trying on swimwear. It’s bad enough looking at your half-naked reflection under flourescent lighting, but the image of your body in a skimpy bikini with thick, clunky socks on your feet just adds to the misery.
- Don’t buy slimpy bikinis with no support.
- Don’t go for horizontal stripes: they really do make you look larger.
- Don’t choose one-piece with no support even if they’re trendy.
- Busy prints are tricky—they can chunk you up. Avoid prints if you want to de-focus a portion of your body.